Please review this document to understand:
- What GrepBeat considers Personal Information.
- What Personal Information we collect.
- How we use and disclose your Personal Information.
- How you can access and change your account information.
- What security procedures are in place to protect the information.
- How to contact us if there are any problems or concerns.
- How we can update this Policy.
The Services may contain links to other web sites, products, or services that we do not own or operate (collectively, “Third Party Sites”). The Services also may contain links to Third-Party Sites such as social networking services. This Policy applies to information collected on or through the Services and not Third-Party Sites referenced from our Services. We cannot control and are not responsible for the information use practices of Third Party Sites or others who may access your information on or through the Services. When you click on links to Third Party Sites, we encourage you to read their privacy policies. Their standards may differ from ours. Additionally, please be aware that the Services may contain links to web sites and services that we operate but that are governed by different privacy policies. We encourage you to carefully review the privacy policies applicable to any web site or service you visit other than the Services.
What is Personal Information?
“Personal Information,” as used in this Policy, is information that specifically identifies an individual, such as an individual’s name, address, telephone number, e-mail address, resume or credit card information. Personal Information also includes information about an individual’s activities, such as information about his or her activity on our Services, and demographic information, such as date of birth, gender, geographic area, and preferences, when any of this information is linked to Personal Information that identifies that individual.
Personal Information does not include “aggregate” or other non-personally identifiable information. Aggregate information is information that we collect about a group or category of products, services, or users that is not personally identifiable or from which individual identities are removed. We may use and disclose aggregate information, and other non-personally identifiable information, for various purposes.
What information do we collect?
We try to collect only what we believe is reasonably necessary to help you get the most out of the Services and to connect with the community. We collect Personal Information that our users provide to us in a variety of ways on our Services. These include the following:
- E–mail Newsletters: We offer e-mail newsletters on our Services. If you sign up to receive a newsletter from us, we collect your e-mail address.
- Listings: We may offer you the opportunity to join various promotional lists or publications (collectively, the “Listings”). We collect any Personal Information you supply when you apply to join these listings.
- Interactive Features: Our Services may contain interactive functionality that allows you to engage with other users on the Services, post comments to forums, upload photographs, profiles, work opportunities and other content (the “User Materials”), participate in surveys, and otherwise interact with the Services and with other users. If you use any interactive functionality on our Services that request or permit you to provide us with Personal Information (including, for example, any services that allow you to post User Materials on any of our Services), we collect the Personal Information that you provide to us in the course of using these interactive features. Some interactive functionality on the Services is provided by third parties, which may also collect, use or disclose your Personal Information. If you upload images to the website, you should avoid uploading images with embedded location data (EXIF GPS) included. Visitors to the website can download and extract any location data from images on the website.
- Job Applications: If you upload a resume or apply for a specific position on or through the Services, you may be asked to provide information on your gender, race, or another personal characteristic that is a protected status under the United States or other applicable law. Some employers are required by law to request this information from job applicants for meeting reporting and record-keeping obligations, but you are not required to provide this information to use the Services. Your provision of this information is strictly voluntary. GrepBeat may disclose this information as further described in this Policy.
- Questions and Feedback: If you contact us with feedback, questions, or other correspondence, we will record any Personal Information contained within or associated with your correspondence.
- Activity on the Services: We record information from your use of the Services, such as pages viewed, type of browser, IP address, the nature of the device from which you are visiting the Services (e.g., a personal computer or mobile device), the identifier for any handheld or mobile device that you may be using, the web site that you visited immediately prior to accessing the Services, the actions you take using the Services, the content, features and activities that you access and participate in on our Services, and timestamps for such activities. We may also collect information regarding your interaction with e-mail messages, such as whether you opened, clicked on, or forwarded a message.
- Web Beacons: Like many websites and services, we use passive technologies such as standard server logs, cookies, clear GIFs and session variables (also known as “Web Beacons”). A cookie, for instance, is a small text file that our Service places on a user’s computer hard drive. Web Beacons enable GrepBeat to deliver customized content to users, improve the effectiveness of advertising on the Services, and administer, operate and improve the Services. If we link or associate any information gathered through passive means with Personal Information, or if applicable laws require us to treat any information gathered through passive means as Personal Information, we treat the combined information as Personal Information under this Policy. We may use persistent cookies which may not have an expiration date but can be easily removed by following the instructions in your browser documentation. However, please be aware that you may not be able to access the Services or certain portions of the Services unless cookies are enabled.
- Additional Information on Cookies: If you leave a comment on our site you may opt-in to saving your name, email address and website in cookies. These are for your convenience so that you do not have to fill in your details again when you leave another comment. These cookies will last for one year. If you have an account and you log in to this site, we will set a temporary cookie to determine if your browser accepts cookies. This cookie contains no personal data and is discarded when you close your browser. When you log in, we will also set up several cookies to save your login information and your screen display choices. Login cookies last for two days, and screen options cookies last for a year. If you select “Remember Me”, your login will persist for two weeks. If you log out of your account, the login cookies will be removed. If you edit or publish an article, an additional cookie will be saved in your browser. This cookie includes no personal data and simply indicates the post ID of the article you just edited. It expires after one day.
- Advertising: GrepBeat may target advertisements and third-party advertisements on and off our Services using various ad networks. Our ad networks may include, without limitation, ad servers, ad agencies, ad exchanges, ad technology vendors, and research firms. We may target ads to users based on general profile information and based on a user’s use of our Services. We may use ad technology such as web beacons, pixels, anonymous ad network tags, and cookies to more efficiently serve ads to our users as well as to collect anonymized research for our advertisers.
- Other Sources: We may receive information about you, including Personal Information, from third parties, and may combine this information with other Personal Information we maintain about you. If we do so, this Policy governs any combined information that we maintain in personally identifiable format.
- Children’s Privacy: GrepBeat.com is a general audience site. Children’s safety is important to us, and we encourage parents and guardians to take an active interest in the online activities of their children. Our Services are not directed toward children under the age of 13, and we do not knowingly collect Personal Information from users under 13 years of age without obtaining parental consent. If we learn that we have collected Personal Information from a child under the age of 13 on our services, we will delete that information as quickly as possible. If you believe that we may have collected any Personal Information from a child under the age of 13 on our Services, please notify us at email@example.com.
How do we use and disclose Personal Information?
- User Materials: We may publicly display Personal Information submitted in any User Materials. Your User Materials are used to enrich the Services. PLEASE BE AWARE THAT USER MATERIALS YOU SUBMIT ARE PUBLICLY AVAILABLE AND THAT YOUR IDENTITY MAY BE DISCERNABLE FROM YOUR USER MATERIALS, EVEN WITHOUT YOUR NAME OR CONTACT INFORMATION
- Applications: If you apply for a position via the Services, we may disclose to the employer any Personal Information about you that you have supplied to us.
- Listings: GrepBeat may sell, distribute, or make other uses of its Listings, including its database of information provided by start-ups, as long as GrepBeat does not disclose users’ Personal Information.
- Contests and Sweepstakes: If you enter a contest, sweepstakes, or other promotion sponsored by a third party offered on or through the Services, we may share the information collected for that promotion with the sponsor. If you do not wish to have your information shared with a sponsor, do not enter the particular contest, sweepstakes, or other promotion.
- Analytics: We use Personal Information in conjunction with, for example, Google Analytics, to evaluate Service statistics as a whole and learn how to better serve public users and registered community users. We may also use your User Materials to contribute to the collective intelligence and offer aggregated data insights. These insights will not include Personal Information.
- International: Our servers and data centers are located in the United States. If you choose to use the Services from outside the U.S., then you should know that you are transferring your Personal Information outside of your region and into the U.S. for storage and processing. By providing your Personal Information to us through your use of the Service, you agree to transfer, storage, and processing in the U.S. Also, we may transfer your data from the U.S. to other countries or regions in connection with storage and processing of data, fulfilling your requests, and operating the Services. Personal information and content posted to the Services may be available to be accessed by users in other countries. You should know that each region can have its own privacy and data security laws, some of which may be less stringent as compared to those of your own region. GrepBeat implements certain safeguards to prevent unauthorized access and use by third parties; however, GrepBeat is not responsible for their use of information posted on our site. Please do not post sensitive information to the Services.
- Service Providers: We may disclose Personal Information to third-party service providers (e.g., payment processing and data storage and processing facilities) that assist us in our work. We limit the Personal Information provided to these service providers to that which is reasonably necessary for them to perform their functions, and their privacy policies govern their collection, use, and disclosure of such Personal Information.
- Business Partners: We may disclose Personal Information to third parties with whom we engage in business relationships, and who execute confidentiality agreements regarding the security of your Personal Information with restrictions no less stringent than this Policy (collectively, our “Business Partners”). Our Business Partners may include, for instance, persons or entities we engage in joint development agreements, joint marketing agreements or other arrangements.
- Public Areas: Some features on our Services may allow you to upload, post, or otherwise transmit User Materials to public areas of the Services, such as content that you post in a comment or a public profile on the Services. Please be aware that any Personal Information that you include within any User Materials will be made available to other users of the Services who view it. You include Personal Information in User Materials at your sole risk. Additionally, even after information posted on the Services is removed, caching and archiving services may have saved that information, and other users or third parties may have copied or stored the information available on the Services. We cannot warrant or guarantee that any Personal Information that you provide on and in connection with the Services will not be accessed, viewed, or used by unauthorized persons.
- Business Transfers: Information about our users, including Personal Information, may be disclosed and otherwise transferred to an acquirer, or successor or assignee as part of any merger, acquisition, debt financing, sale of company assets, or similar transaction, as well as in the event of an insolvency, bankruptcy, or receivership in which Personal Information is transferred to one or more third parties as one of our business assets.
- To Protect our Interests: We also disclose Personal Information if we believe that doing so is legally required, or is in our interest to protect our property or other legal rights (including, but not limited to, enforcement of our agreements), or the rights or property of others, or otherwise to help protect the safety or security of our Services and other users of the Services.
How can you access and change your Personal Information?
If we offer the ability to create user accounts or profiles on our Services, users may access and change their own Personal Information by logging into their account and changing the information. Users may access or amend their Personal Information from our database by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you request that we delete your account on any of our Services (via a user settings page, by e-mail, or otherwise), we will do so within a reasonable period of time, but we may need to retain some of your Personal Information in order to satisfy our legal obligations, or where we reasonably believe that we have a legitimate reason to do so.
How can you change your communication settings?
If you receive commercial e-mail from us provided by our third-party service, MailChimp, you may unsubscribe at any time by following the instructions contained within the e-mail (see “Communications” above). Please be aware that if you opt-out of receiving commercial e-mail from us, it may take up to ten business days for us to process your opt-out request, and you may receive commercial e-mail from us during that period. Additionally, even after you opt-out from receiving commercial messages from us, you will continue to receive administrative messages from us regarding our Services.
How can you opt-out of tracking services?
We use Google Analytics to track website visits and behaviors, including remarketing, demographics and interest reporting features. You may opt out of interest-based ads by Google through Ads Settings and opt-out of Google Analytics tracking here.
We may opt-out of interest-based Twitter ads here.
What security procedures are in place to protect your Personal Information?
We use reasonable security measures that are designed to protect personal information from accidental loss, disclosure, misuse, and destruction. Please be aware, however, that no data security measures can be guaranteed to be completely effective. Consequently, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information that you provide to us. You transmit information to us at your own risk. To help secure your information, access to your GrepBeat data is password-protected. Moreover, we do not see your passwords for our third-party authentication methods as you authenticate access to the third party website outside the Services. You are responsible for establishing a secure password and maintaining the confidentiality of log-in credentials.
Notice to California Residents
We do not respond to “do not track” signals or other similar mechanisms. We will not share your information with any third parties for that third party’s marketing purposes.
How can we update this Policy?
We may occasionally update this Policy. When we do, we will also revise the “last updated” date at the beginning of the Policy. If we change this Policy in a manner that is materially less restrictive of our use or disclosure of your Personal Information, we will use reasonable efforts to notify you of the change, for example by posting a prominently displayed notification on the Services, to obtain your consent prior to applying the change to any Personal Information that we collected from you prior to the date the change becomes effective. If you continue to use the Services after changes made to this Policy have been sent to you or published on our site, you hereby provide your consent to the changed practices and your continued use of the Services after such changes will be subject to the then-current policy. We encourage you to periodically review this Policy to stay informed about how we collect, use, and disclose Personal Information.
How can you contact us if there are any problems or concerns?
If problems arise or if you have any questions or comments about this Policy, you may contact GrepBeat by email or regular mail and we will make reasonable efforts to respond promptly and resolve any concerns.
Last updated: October 20, 2020