The Greppy Awards (aka The Greppys) recognize the best and brightest startups and individuals in the Triangle tech community.
This inaugural ceremony was held on Friday, April 23, 2021. The Greppys were sponsored by our friends at Dualboot Partners, who can handle all of your development needs.
We presented a Judges’ and Readers’ Choice winner in each of the following categories:
- BEST SMALL STARTUP. This award recognizes a startup launched by forward-thinking leaders with a product or service that aims to disrupt the market. 0-10 Employees
- BEST MEDIUM-SIZED STARTUP. This award recognizes a startup built by forward-thinking leaders that has found product-market fit and is growing. Approximately 11-50 Employees
- BEST LARGE STARTUP. This award recognizes a startup built by forward-thinking leaders with a product or service that is already disrupting the market. 51+ Employees
- BEST ON-CAMPUS STARTUP. This is category is dedicated to student-led startups that were formed and exist on campus. Two startups will be nominated from each of the following universities: Duke, NC Central, NC State, and UNC.
- MOST IMPACTFUL INDIVIDUAL. This award recognizes technology leaders and visionaries who have gone above and beyond in the community. This person’s influence will have contributed to the overall growth of the Triangle’s startup and tech ecosystem.
- BEST LEVERAGING. This special award recognizes a company that has effectively utilized the various resources that the Triangle has to offer. Whether it be receiving a direct investment from a local VC and/or angel group, participating in a local accelerator, receiving mentorship from an entrepreneurial support organization, presenting at a local tech conference, working at a local coworking space/startup community, etc. [Note: this is a special award selected by GrepBeat, not the judges or readers.]
Our committee of notable ecosystem experts nominated companies and individuals for each of the awards (with the exception of the on-campus award, which was nominated by the schools). The judges also picked a winner in each category.
- John Austin, Senior Director of NC IDEA
- Tina Cochrane, Vice President at Dualboot Partners
- Jan Davis, Founder of Davis Growth Partners
- Lister Delgado, Managing Partner of IDEA Fund Partners
- Sarah Leners, Senior Associate of Bull City Venture Partners
- Tim McLoughlin, Partner of Cofounders Capital
Dualboot Partners was the lead sponsor of The 2021 Greppys, but that doesn’t mean you can’t be a part of the fun in the future—or the present, for that matter. Reach out if you would like more information on sponsorship opportunities.
And of course, you should watch the awards show itself: